Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wanderings

The tallest tree lies here quietly now
Looming before my eyes, it came as quite a shock
Finding myself despite the time of day
In darkening woods without this childhood friend
My guide, my beacon home all those times.
Years ago, before decisions and debacles of maturity
I found myself lost right here, right then
Amongst these clustered towers of rustling shadows
And like a dog chasing his tail I wound myselfIn circles of confusion
Throughout the blanket of gold and bronze.

Stopping with exhaustion, I wept, letting my fear drip down
Frustration sliding down my cold blushed cheeks
And with a thud I dropped, no longer knowing the way
Confused where to look or go and losing hope and daylight
Pressing my face to my hands, resigned to my fate.

I sat waiting for a voice that wasn't calling
Nothing uttered by the silence around me
Except for the frictionless hush of the bare arms above me
I rose to observe the empty fullness reaching toward me
Its arms opened and beckoned me to climb
Suddenly unafraid, crawling with an unlimbering trust
Cradled in its side, finding a spot that seemed fitted for me
And in clearing the tears from my eyes
I could see beyond the twisted thickness below
Past my fears I found the clearest path home
And knew from that day forward I would never be lost again.

But now, lying here it has no use, its offerings long gone
For the child whose future once was yet to be told
The last leaves dropped long ago and its guidance with them
Its armor cracked and humbled to below my gaze
And though I know not when or where, I see myself lying here
In joining my old friend some many years from now
My existence will be torn free from this world
Like loose threads dangling from an overused Argyll jacket
Hoping the next passerby stops and ponders my fate
And remembers me for my guidance to them along the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! The room around me just dissolved into emerald forest as I read.